Smart charging is now available to select EV drivers.
Do you own an EV Charger and live in Toronto? If so, you have the chance to participate in a free pilot program. The program aims to help improve your EV charging experience and will assist Toronto Hydro in developing future EV programs.
About the pilot
Toronto Hydro – in partnership with Plug’n Drive and Elocity Technologies Inc. – is looking for participants for its EV Smart Charging Pilot Program. Selected participants will receive a free Hyper Integrated Electric Vehicle (HIEVTM) EVPlug smart charging device, a solution by Elocity Technologies Inc. This smart device will allow you to control your EV charging schedule using a smartphone app.
This goals of this pilot are to:
- Understand EV charging patterns and behaviours in Toronto, including duration, frequency and time of charging
- Gather information to assist in the development of future programs and to offer increased support for EV drivers
- Provide EV charger owners access to monitor, schedule and control charging through a mobile app
- Offer EV charger owners $50 per year for the duration of the pilot by participating in the demand response and demand management program
- Understand grid impacts and EV electricity demand
- Support the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions
Qualifying for the pilot program
To qualify, you must:
- Be a Toronto Hydro customer
- Drive an EV (BEV or PHEV) or plan to have one by May 1, 2022
- Have an indoor or outdoor EV charging station installed at your home or business that plugs into a 120V or 240V electrical outlet by May 1, 2022
- Have a wi-fi connection that reaches your EV charger location
Want to see if you qualify? Fill out the EV Smart Charging Pilot Qualification Survey to determine whether you’re eligible to participate in the pilot program.
Frequently asked questions
How many people can participate in the program?
The EV Smart Charging Pilot Program is limited to the first 100 eligible Toronto Hydro customers.
What is an HIEVTM EVPlug?
The HIEVTM EVPlug, developed by Elocity Technologies Inc., is an adapter that provides EV drivers with increased control over when they charge, and connects them with charging information through a mobile app. The system is easy, reliable, secure and proudly made in Canada.
How does it work?
The HIEVTM is a smart adapter for non-networked EV chargers. It connects to your existing EV charger and sends your charging information to the HIEVTM Mobile App on your smartphone using your existing home wi-fi.
How much will it cost me?
The HIEVTM plug is free for program participants.
Can I register more than one EV charger?
No, each Toronto Hydro customer is limited to one device per service address.
How long is this pilot program?
The initial term of the pilot is two years. Unless Toronto Hydro contacts you to end the pilot after the initial term, it will automatically renew for an additional two years. After the renewal term, the program will conclude.
What will happen to the device after the program is complete?
After the program concludes, you’re welcome to keep using the device but the application may no longer be updated or supported.
Have any additional questions or concerns related to qualifying for the pilot? Contact us at email@example.com.