Installing Your Charging Station

Charging stations have similar electrical requirements to a clothes dryer or stove (240 Volts/30 Amps) and any licensed electrician can install them. The cost to install a charging station can vary dramatically from case to case and we strongly advise having two or three electricians visit and assess your property to provide an installation quote.

Before you Start, This is What You Need to Know:

Look for a certification mark:

An EV charging system must carry the official mark or label of a recognized certification or evaluation agency. Before an electrical product or piece of electrical equipment is used, sold, displayed or advertised for sale, it needs to be approved by an accredited certification or evaluation agency. This indicates that the product has been independently assessed for safety. You can visit the Electrical Safety Authority for a full list of certification marks:

Ensure you have the appropriate electrical panel:

Electric vehicles can use a lot of power so it’s important to make sure that your electrical panel can handle the extra load. If your home requires an electrical panel upgrade, you will need to contact your local utility. A licensed electrical contractor can assist you to determine what needs to be done.  

Hire a Licensed Electrical Contractor:

EV charging stations, like all electrical appliances, are potentially dangerous if not installed correctly and it is important to hire a licensed electrical contractor. Visit the links below to find one in your area.

Alberta: Electrical Contractors Association of Alberta

British Columbia: Electrical Contractors Association of British Columbia

Manitoba: Electrical Association of Manitoba

New Brunswick: Electrical Contractors Association of New Brunswick

Nova Scotia: Department of Labor and Advanced Education

Newfoundland: Government of Newfoundland and Labrador

Ontario: Electrical Safety Authority

In Ontario, if you’re hiring someone to do electrical work in your home, by law, it must be a Licensed Electrical Contractor with an ECRA/ESA electrical contracting licence.

You must also file a notification of work with ESA before starting the installation. If you hired a Licensed Electrical Contractor, they will file the notification for you and provide you with a Certificate of Acceptance once the work is complete and deemed compliant with the Ontario Electrical Safety Code. Ensure you retain a copy for your records.

Québec: Corporation des Maîtres Électriciens du Québec

Saskatchewan: Electrical Contractors Association of Saskatchewan

Although informing your local electricity provider that you are installing a charging station is not mandatory, we do recommend it. This will help them monitor the grid impact of electric vehicles and upgrade local transformers if necessary. If you do not know who your local electricity provider is, ask us at: