Plug’n Drive presents our new EV charging in condominiums guide. This essential resource for condo owners, boards and managers will help you make your condo electric car ready. Included within is information about condo charging installation steps, energy efficiency and load management as well as two comprehensive FAQs, one for condo owners and managers and the other for condo residents. Plug’n Drive is hosting a series of condo charging information sessions. If you are interested in attending one of these sessions, contact us at email@example.com.
Preparing for Electric Vehicles in Condominiums
Ever since their introduction to the marketplace, electric vehicle demand has continued to climb. In 2017, electric car sales in Canada experienced a 56% growth increase and this upward trend is expected to continue. The EV buying demographic leans toward well-educated urban professionals and, ultimately, their choice of property will come down to whether or not they have access to electric car charging. As of May 01, 2018, changes to the Condominium Act make it easier for condo corporations and residents to install charging stations. Some of the changes include:
- The condo board is required to give residents access to the electrical information they need to assess whether or not charging is possible.
- Applications to the board must include drawings and careful, informed plans that show how the electric car charger installation is reasonable and safe.
- The condo corporation must reply to the application within 60 days, and if it rejects the application it must be done through the report of a qualified professional, and demonstrate how the proposal would pose a serious health threat and/or safety risk to people or property.
- The application must be sensitive to the costs incurred by other owners and the rights of other owners to enjoy common spaces.
For a full summary of the condominium act changes that were made on May 1, 2018 to accommodate electric vehicle charging, visit the Province of Ontario’s website: Owning a Condo: Install an Electric Vehicle Charging System.
Benefits of Charging Stations
- Attract new buyers and tenants while retaining existing ones
- Demonstrate your environmental leadership and commitment to sustainability
- Receive up to three LEED points from the Canada Green Building Council