Electric cars are cheaper to operate than gas cars, require less maintenance and reduce society's dependence on environmentally damaging fossil fuels. There are two types of electric car:
Fully Electric Cars are powered 100% by electricity and have zero tailpipe emissions.
Plug-in Hybrid Electric Cars have small battery packs for short all-electric driving distances before a gasoline engine or generator turns on for longer trips.
Canadian Electric Car Fast Facts
- There are more than 28,000 electric cars on the road in Canada
- Provincial incentives in British Columbia, Ontario and Québec can save you up to $14,000 off your vehicle purchase
- Driving an electric car can save you between $1,500-$2,000 per year in fuel
- Electric cars require less maintenance
- Canada's electricity is clean with the majority of our power coming from hydro and nuclear
- Driving an electric car can reduce your vehicle's emissions by as much as 90%
- Canada has more than 4,500 public charging stations, 150 of which are Level 3 fast chargers
- There are 18 different models available in Canada
To discover your options, visit our on-line showroom Electric Cars Available in Canada.
Help spread the word