An electric car is powered by an electric motor as opposed to a gasoline engine. Electric cars are cheaper to operate than gas cars, require less maintenance and reduce society's dependence on environmentally damaging fossil fuels. There are two types of electric car:
Fully Electric Cars are powered 100% by electricity and have zero tailpipe emissions.
Plug-in Hybrid Electric Cars have small battery packs for short all-electric driving distances before a gasoline engine or generator turns on for longer trips.
No matter what kind of electric car you drive, cost savings and sustainability are becoming more and more important by the day for individuals, businesses and governments. Electric cars rise to the challenge and the electric revolution is here to stay.
Canadian Electric Car Fast Facts
- There are more than 24,000 electric cars on the road in Canada
- Driving an electric car can save you between $1,500-$2,000 per year in fuel costs
- Canada's electricity grid is very clean with the majority of our power coming from hydro and nuclear
- Driving an electric car can reduce your vehicle's carbon footprint by as much as 90% per year
- Canada has more than 4,500 public charging stations, 150 of which are Level 3 fast chargers
- There are 18 different models available in Canada
To discover your electric car options, visit our on-line showroom Electric Cars Available in Canada.
Help spread the word